Porch Pirates are Preventable
The holidays are quickly approaching and that means you will likely be purchasing gifts online. Although it’s convenient to buy products online and have them shipped directly to your front door, there is always the possibility your purchases could be stolen by “porch pirates” if left unattended outside your home.
As you anxiously await for your treasures to be delivered this holiday season, I strongly encourage you to follow the tips below to protect your goods and keep porch pirates at bay:
- Outdoor security cameras. For maximum theft deterrence, make sure your outdoor security cameras are highly visible and clearly pointed at the package drop-off area.
- Have your package delivered elsewhere, such as your place of employment, an Amazon delivery site, P.O. Box or FedEx/UPS location.
- Request that deliveries require a signature.
- Subscribe to delivery alerts. All major delivery services offer some kind of notification service for package updates.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to keep an eye out for your delivery and secure it for you until you get home.
- If you capture a porch pirate on your security camera, call us at 239-477-1000 to report it.
I’m confident that by taking a few simple precautions and installing the right home security technology, you can make it much more difficult for thieves to do their dirty work. Let’s work together to keep Lee County safe!