Register for Towing Permits
Lee County Ordinance 13-19 requires towing permits for wrecker businesses, wrecker drivers and the immobilization of vehicles. The following steps are required:
Wrecker Operator Permit, Private Property Tow Permit, and Immobilization Permit
- Complete Tow Driver Registration Application; you should receive an email as confirmation;
- Once the permit has been received, notification will be sent to set a date and time for the person requesting the permit to get fingerprinted and submitted to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to complete the background check;
- Once the applicant’s background check returns, notification will be made for payment submission and issuance of the ID card as per county ordinance;
- The permit fee is $25 and can be paid by cash, money order or business check. No personal checks or credit cards will be accepted.
Wrecker Business Permit
- Complete Tow Company Registration application; You should receive an email as confirmation;
- Submit copy of business license, insurance coverage and corporation license;
- An appointment will be made for issuance of business permit at the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, 14750 Six Mile Cypress Pkwy., Fort Myers once documents are reviewed;
- The business permit fee is $25 and can be paid cash, money order or business check. No personal checks or credit cards will be accepted;
- Once all paperwork is reviewed and found to be in compliance and the fee has been paid a business permit will be issued to show compliance with the county ordinance.
Note any business owner will be required to submit for a wrecker driver permit if planning to show up on scene or operate a wrecker.